Tenacity in and of itself is considered a worthwhile quality. Alongside perseverance and persistence. When 90% is telling you that it’s impossible but the remaining 10% is your own doubts, smothered in an inexorable super power – that which we call hope.
What sets all of that apart for me, is whether or not you are stubborn with it. Why does the universe like a stubborn heart? Because you suddenly have the drive to push through to your successes. Instead of falling just short or settling because the effort is deemed too great for a reward that may not yet be quantifiable. You now have the brute force to pull yourself through the mires of negativity that we all know oh so intimately, from time to time, too. Seeing light at the end of a tunnel that swallows the majority in its inimitable darkness…
Stubborn people have that semi-permeable membrane. Feelings make it in and out, (people too) but they are able to be, or have learned to be selective with it. Careful. Knowing that there is balance in everything but that not everything is in balance. Or adds to their own. Knowing when to tip the scales (and in which direction).
Stubborness cannot be accredited solely to experience. Instinct plays a role – an innate, primal knowledge of what is right for oneself.
Why then, are we taught the direct and complete opposite? That good things come to those that wait? What is meant for you will surely find you? Trust the system? Everything happens for a reason… Stubbornness is suddenly an ugly word. Reserved for those who are unreasonable. Reserved for those who cannot conform. Reserved for those who cannot wait.
There is beauty in everything. And so stubborness is also beautiful. Resolute. Strong. It is in every child who learns to walk, talk, read and sing. It is in every sick person fighting to recover. It is in every rejection that we bounce back from. And in every achievement we work hard for.
Nothing worth having comes easy and it would not be attained at all were it not for that very human element that we expel with our first, stubborn breath of air.